This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Read the full disclosure.
I thought of creating a separate post of Spectra breast pump parts and accessories.
Initially, Spectra has very limited choices (be it in breast shield sizes, bottles that fit, and so on).
But thanks to innovations released by various brands, using Spectra is very easy right now.
You are NOT limited to accessories / parts released by Spectra.
There are a lot more parts that you can try out, including how to hack it so that it can work with other breast pump systems.
So, back to the question, which breast pump parts and accessories work with Spectra breast pump?
Here you go:
Wide neck bottles:
Personally, I used Avent bottles a lot with my Spectra because it is very durable, the ml measurement is not easily washed off, and I used them for feeding bottles, too. So, less bottle brands to worry about.
Check out the following table for other wide-neck bottle options:
Narrow Neck bottles:
You can also use narrow-neck bottles, or also know as standard-neck bottles with Spectra breast pump, provided that you also use a bottle thread adapter.
This little adapter works as it connects the wide-neck breast shield to narrow-neck bottle.
Here are some brands that releases bottle thread adapter:
- Maymom bottle adapter (very popular, the first to invent this)
- Spectra bottle adapter
- Pumpables bottle adapter (also ships to Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand)
And here are some lists of compatible, popular
PS: If you have Tommee Tippee bottles (some readers asked me about this), you can also use it with your Spectra provided that you use 2 adapters, installed in this order:
You can see how it looks like here (search the customer images).
Can you pump directly to breast milk bag with Spectra breast pump?
The answer is yes. You have 2 options here:
(1) Kiinde breast milk storage bags, because these bags comes with adapters that connect to major breast pump models, including Spectra.
The good thing with Kiinde milk bag is you can directly pump, store, and even feed directly from the bag. This will help to minimize breast milk wastage during milk transfer from bag to bottle.
(2) Use Maymom breast milk bag adapter to pump right into Lansinoh / NUK storage bags. This is the latest development from Maymom and I'm so excited to share it with you.
Since this is a new product, there's not so much review yet. But the existing reviews are all five-stars.
PS: I haven't had the chance to try this myself since it's not available yet in my country. But you can buy this from Amazon.
Need examples on how to use your Spectra S1/S2 setting?
Download this cheatsheet (includes 5 different settings plus PRO pumping tips).
2. BREAST SHIELDS / FLANGES
The standard breast shield size that comes with Spectra is 24 mm. Some stores give you two sets (24 and 28 mm).
However, Spectra also has other sizes available with separate purchase: 20 mm, 28 mm, or 32 mm.
If you are looking for more variety of sizes, I highly recommend Maymom or Nenesupply breast shields.
They cover much more sizes as small as 15 mm and as large as 36 mm. It also has a bundle called a breast shield sizing kit (covering sizes from 19 to 24 mm). A great bundle if you are thinking to try several sizes at once.
Earlier, Maymom and Nenesupply flange needs a flange adaptor to connect with Spectra pump, but now they have produced compatible flanges that connect directly to Spectra pump and wide-neck bottles.
Check out the following table for their options.
Alternatively, if you prefer two-piece breast shield (like what Medela has), you can use Medela PersonalFit connector, connected to Medela breast shield (again, with Maymom flange adapter).
This is a great solution if you already have existing Medela breast shields.
Other than hard plastic flange, nowadays you can also you soft silicone breast pump flange or cushion for better pumping comfort. This is a great option too if you have elastic nipple. Click here to read a more detailed post about silicone flange (benefit, most popular products with each pros and cons, as well as how to choose).
Spectra has 2 types of valves. If you purchase Spectra quite sometimes ago, you will get the white duck-bill valve.
However, if you purchase Spectra recently, you'll noticed that the new version comes with blue valves - white membrane, just like what Medela has.
They works interchangeably. Some moms prefer the duck-bill ones, while others prefer the blue ones. I personally have tried the duck-bill ones and had no problem. I guess you just need to test it out.
4. TUBINGS / BACKFLOW PROTECTORS
Additionally, Maymom has long-stem back-flow protector (which works exactly as the original back-flow protector PLUS flange adapter, great if you are using Maymom or Medela breast shield).
5. OTHER USEFUL ACCESSORIES
When portability matters...
If you use Spectra S2 (the one without built-in battery), you will appreciate having one of these for pumping on the go:
1. Car adapter: pumping in the car is not a problem anymore. Say hello to pumping while driving!
2. Power bank: if you get tired being stuck to sit near a power outlet, you may appreciate pumping using a power bank.
Bags to fit Spectra breast pump...
Pumping bras to fit Spectra breast shields
Spectra breast shield is one-piece, so sometimes it is harder to find a pumping bra that allows you to insert the flange easily, without stretching the fabric too much. Take into account that you are in rush (whether due to rushing at work or attending a crying baby), you need to get a bra that can work real quick.
Here's my recommendation:
1. Bravado Clip n Pump (it has figure 8 opening, so that inserting a one-piece breast shield is relatively easy, note that it only works with nursing bra with B-clips).
2. Pump Strap pumping bra (it has huge holes, guaranteed you won't have problem inserting your Spectra flange).
3. Lactamed Simplicity pumping kit (it's not a bra, it is a set of straps to hold your flange in place. Though cheapest, I found that this is quite supportive and super adjustable).
For more detailed comparison, I suggest you to read my pumping bra recommendation here.
Other Hands-free accessories for Spectra
Have you heard about breast milk collection cups before?
A lot of working moms swears using collection cups with their Spectra breast pump. All you need to do is to insert the cups to your regular bra, connect it to your pump and you can pump discreetly while working. You don't need a special pumping bra or nursing cover.
Nowadays, there are several brands offering breast milk collection cups:
1. Freemie collection cup (pay attention: Do choose the closed-system version / new generation to use Freemie cup with Spectra. Collection cup comes with 25 and 28-mm flange (capacity of 8 oz).
2. Spectra / Caracups collection cup. This is released by Spectra and you have option to choose between 24 or 28 mm flange, capacity 250 ml.
3. Legendairy Milk Silicone Cups. This is one of the most popular collection cup, featuring soft silicon flange in the inner part. It comes with both 24 and 28-mm flange (8-oz capacity).
4. YouHa Collection Cups. Another collection cup brand which is much cheaper and offers silicon flange, too. Available in 24 or 28 mm size (8-oz capacity).
If your breast shield size is not listed here, don't worry. You can always use Maymom silicone insert, which varies from 13 mm to 24 mm.
I hope this list of Spectra breast pump parts and accessories helps you to find pump parts that are compatible with your Spectra breast pump (and makes your life easier =D).
Is there anything missing from this list? Let me know and I'll update it accordingly.