Have you ever heard about Milk Genie breast pump?
“Huh…what brand is that?”
That was my initial reaction when Kathleen from Pumpables approached me to do this review.
After a quick search later, I found out that it is a new brand that is just growing in its popularity.
Yes.. it’s a new breast pump brand…! To be honest, I was skeptical at first how this pump will compete with existing breast pump models. But to my surprise, I’m impressed.
Are you curious how this new breast pump performs?
Learn more about Milk Genie in this breast pump review.
*I received a Milk Genie Breast pump in exchange for the review (All opinions are my own). This post contains affiliate links.
- Breast pump type: electric
- Single/ double: can be used for single and double pumping
- Power source: built in battery (last ~ 2.5 hours pumping)
- Size: 133mm x 49mm x 95mm (super small!)
- Breast shield size: This breast pump comes with 3 sizes right from the box (first time to see this, very nice). The sizes are 21, 24, and 27 mm.
- Suction level: 1-10
- Speed adjustment: together with suction level (not separated)
- Weight: 265 gr
- Available at: Pumpables website
Learn more about Milk Genie specification here.
WHAT YOU GET OUT OF THE BOX:
- Pump motor (with built-in battery)
- 3 sets of breast shields (2-piece breast shield model) + duck bill valves
- 2 wide-neck collection bottles
- A pair of bottle caps, sealing discs, and bottle teats
- A pair of tubings
- A pair of back-flow protectors
- Power adaptor (plus multi-plug adapters)
Here's the video to show you what you get from Milk Genie breast pump package:
THINGS I LOVE FROM MILK GENIE BREAST PUMP
1. Comes with 3 most-common breast shield sizes: 21, 24, 27 mm.
This is very good especially if you are pumping beginner and have no idea yet which breast shield size is the right fit for you.
As you know, we need to use the correct breast shield size to get the optimum amount of milk.
Milk Genie gives you three at no extra cost.
That means you can measure and choose the most suitable size to begin with, and experiment with the other size to see which one give you most comfortable pumping experience and yield most milk.
2. Very portable.
It is very small (in fact, it fits inside my palm) and light-weight. You can easily slip it inside your pocket.
You don't need to use a lot of space inside your bag to store it and you can even pump while walking around (yes, my friend tried this, so it's definitely doable).
Additionally, Milk Genie breast pump comes with a built-in battery that can last for up to 2.5 hours pumping, which is sufficient for several pumping sessions throughout the day without relying to power cord / socket.
3. Memory function
Say hello to personalized pumping experience.
When I say memory function, it's not as simple as 'memorize your last pumping setting' just as stated in other breast pump brand.
It's much more powerful than that.
You can record the way you pump (starting on how long you need to stay in let-down mode and at which level, and then switch to expression mode for what level and how long, stuff like this).
In the video below, I'll show you exactly how this works but really, this is a very cool feature.
I believe a lot of us will love this feature, especially when you need to pump while multitasking other thing (things like, pumping while driving, or checking work emails).
No more fiddling with pump buttons because it automatically switches from one phase to another based on your typical pumping routing.
4. Super quiet!
To be honest, I was not convinced the first time Pumpables said that Milk Genie is a very quiet breast pump.
In case you don't know, Spectra pumps are popularly known as some of the quietest breast pumps in the market.
If you are not convinced yet, just watch this video for the proof.
- The tubing is very similar to Spectra / Cimilre / Freemie tubing. That means, if you just want to use Milk Genie pump motor paired with your existing Spectra / Cimilre / Freemie accessories, it is totally doable.
- As for bottles, you can substitute Milk Genie collection bottles with wide-neck bottles (e.g. Avent Natural bottles) or use a wide to narrow bottle converter to use narrow-neck bottles (Medela, Ameda, etc).
- The breast shield is 2-piece set, just like Medela, so in case you need a bigger / smaller breast shield that Pumpables does not offer, you can grab Medela ones.
- You can use any wide-neck bottles such as Avent Natural, Spectra to pump with Milk Genie.
- And it can be used with Freemie (for those needing extra portability so that you can really pump discreetly while doing your work)
REAL TESTIMONIAL FROM A PUMPING MOM
Since I'm no longer breastfeeding, I asked my pumping friend (who has been pumping daily at work) to try out Milk Genie and here's what she said:
I love that this breast pump is so portable. I can definitely walk around while pumping with this (and nobody should know because it is damn quiet).
It took me a while to get used to the pump, I wasn't able to get let-down easily in the first trial, but as I get to know the pump a little better, it does help me achieve letdowns. The max suction is pretty strong btw (stronger than Spectra M1).
MY FINAL VERDICT:
Milk Genie from Pumpables is a nifty little machine. If you love Medela, I bet you'll love Milk Genie. It has clear straight forward suction (no vibration as in Spectra). Yet, it's much cheaper, much much quieter and has a good suction.
It is well-built, unlike M1 that comes with an external single-double tube converter. In Milk Genie, the hole cover is attached so there's no way you're going to misplace it.
The built-in battery can last for about 3x30-minute pumping sessions.
All in all, a nice little breast pump that's portable and super quiet.
This breast pump is great to have for moms on the go and busy working moms.
The portability and and its quietness are definitely two BIG plus points so that you can pump wherever you are without feeling nervous that someone will know about you pumping.
The memory feature is super-cool, if you plan to do a totally hands-free discreet pumping, I'd certainly recommend getting Milk Genie breast pump plus hands-free pumping tools (such as Freemie or Cimilre handsfree kit).
I hope this review helps you to determine whether Milk Genie breast pump is suitable for your need. I try my best to explain all the pros and cons so you can have an unbiased review abut Milk Genie breast pump from Pumpables.
PS: Milk Genie is currently NOT available for shipping to USA-based address, but AVAILABLE for UK, Australia, Singapore and Malaysia. You can click here to check the price in each currency.