This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Read the full disclosure.
If you ever think that pumping is hard, you are not alone. I’m with you, and so do other mamas. Not only it has a long learning curve, the pumping session itself may take quite a long time. Not to mention that sometimes we have problems with getting the milk out and emptying the breast thoroughly.
Here are some of the most common pumping problems:
- Difficulty to get let down /takes so long to get let-down
- Difficulty to practice hands-on pumping
- Unable to empty breast properly
- Clogged duct, ouch….
Is there a way to make pumping easier?
That’s why, I am so excited when I heard about LaVie Lactation Massager. LaVie is a brand initiated by a pumping mom, hoping to help other getting the best experience in breastfeeding and pumping.
But wait, what is Lavie Lactation Massager? In this Lavie Lactation Massager review, I discuss the details of Lavie massagers and how these products may help you having better experience in your breastfeeding and pumping journey.
Lavie Lactation Massager Reviews: The Products
There are several massagers that LaVie offers:
- Original Lavie lactation massager. This is a milk expression tool that delivers vibration (battery-operated) to help with milk expression. It has a unique design so that it can also be used manually to massage the breast to help milk flow and relieve clogged ducts.
- Lavie warming massager. This is the newest generation of Lavie Massager. Also battery-operated, it provides combination of heat and warmth when you pump / nurse and has very good reputation in speeding up let down and milk flow).
- Lavie lactation roller. Unlike the previous two, this roller is to be used for manual massage. The unique shape allows mother to reach difficult spots to aid in hands-on pumping and relieving clogged ducts without hand-ache.
Here’s a comparison table showing the features of each massager I explained above.
|Lavie Original Massager
|Lavie Warming Massager
|Lavie Lactation Roller
|Produces different kinds of vibration
|Produces 2 types of vibrations
|No heat mode
|Offers heat mode
|No heat mode
|Great for recurrent clogged ducts, faster let-down, and better milk flow. Ergonomic shape for massaging different areas of breasts.
|Great for clogged ducts, faster let-down, and better milk flow.
|Great for relieving clogged ducts, encourage better milk flow.
Now, let’s focus on Lavie warming massager, because this is the latest addition to Lavie range of products and I believe is the most useful for your pumping routine.
Here’s how Lavie lactation warming massager looks like. Personally, the combination of white and teal color is so appealing, giving sense of peacefulness when you start pumping.
- Combine warmth and heat (no more heating pads needed!)
- Various setting (warmth only, heat only, both, and the level of warmth and vibration is adjustable)
- Rechargeable ( no external battery needed)
- Dual charger for easy charging
- Quite pricey, but if it can help you pumping more comfortably and faster, why not.
- Charge does not last the whole day (need to recharge in between pumping sessions)
- Not waterproof (can not be used during shower time)
How Do You Use LaVie Warming Massager
The circular button is a power button, which also serves as a toggle button to switch between vibration mode (first press: the massager is turned on with no vibration, second press: continuous vibration, third press: interval vibration, press again to stop vibration and long press to turn off the device).
The little switch next to the power button is used to control the heat setting. The middle button is no-heat mode, left: low-heat, right: high heat.
To use LaVie massager, turn the massager on and set the vibration / heat mode. Then you can place Lavie Massager anywhere around your breast. A good start will be placing on the top part of your breast, and you can experiment the best placement from there. Check out the video below to see how to use Lavie massager.
3 Ways To Use LaVie Warming Massager While Pumping:⠀
- Start the heat function a few minutes before pumping. Once one area is warmed up, you can move LaVie massager around to warm the other parts. Warmth has been proven to encourage better milk flow and stimulate let down faster. I personally experience this!
Do breast compression to empty breast. Breast compression is part of hands-on pumping, that has been proven to encourage milk flow to get more milk. You can use Lavie massager to apply compression to different parts of your breast. Just like doing hands-on pumping, but with a tool, so that your hand is less tired doing the manual massage.
- Use the pulse vibration to stimulate let-down. A good vibration can help speed up let-down. When you just start pumping or attempt to get the subsequent let-down, turn on the pulsing vibration mode or switch between the two vibration mode for faster let-down.
Does LaVie Massager Help with Breastfeeding?
- If you have recurring clogged ducts (usually in early weeks, the combination of heat and vibration before nursing helps to clear clogged ducts faster)
- Do you have slow let-down and milk flow? The massager also help to initiate faster let-down and better milk flow.
My Personal Experience With LaVie Warming Massager
When I tried using Lavie while pumping, I noticed that the vibration is quite intense to my liking. I guess this is something that takes time to adjust. Whereas for the warmer function, I totally love it. I noticed that I got my let down faster (within one minute or less), and yield more milk when using Lavie warming massager while pumping. My milk flow definitely improves. Usually, I need to aim for the second let down after 5 minutes pumping, but with Lavie the milk kept flowing past 5 minute mark.
The fact that preparing the warmer is very straight forward (just charge before hand and turn on when you need it), this tool is definitely worth trying, especially if you suffer from long pumping time or unable to get let down fast/ empty breast properly.
Did I try this for breastfeeding? I’m currently in the weaning phase of my third baby, so i would say she’s already expert in nursing and patient enough to initiate my let-down. So, I don’t feel the need to use LaVie massager in the current nursing stage. Oh, how I wish I had this during the newborn phase, when I dealt with frequent clogged ducts and an impatient baby. I believe, this tool would be a tremendous help during that time.
Who Should Use LaVie Massager?
- Exclusive pumping moms or moms who pump regularly
- Moms who frequently get clogged ducts (be it breastfeeding only or pumping)
- Moms having difficulty in milk let down
- Moms having difficulty in improving milk flow and emptying breast thoroughly.
How to Choose Which LaVie Massager To Use
You should definitely look at the product features (especially the unique one) and your intentional usage. Do you need the heat feature? In that case, the warming massager is the perfect option.
Will you use it more towards massaging breasts while pumping and relieving clogged ducts? In this case, the original lactation massager has a better ergonomic design to target different parts of breast.
If you want to solely use in doing hands-on pumping and relieving clogged ducts and does not mind to manually maneuver it with your hand, then the lactation roller is your best bet.
In conclusion, Lavie lactation massagers are great tools for pumping and breastfeeding moms, providing helps in getting better milk flow and faster pumping. Not only that, Lavie massagers are also great tools in relieving breast tenderness and clogged ducts, something that a nursing / pumping mamas frequently face during their breastfeeding journey.
I hope this Lavie Lactation massager review helps you to gain more information about Lavie massagers, the various options that they have and how to use it to get better pumping experience.
If you are curious on how other moms think about Lavie lactation massagers, you can read more reviews in the following:
- Lavie Warming Massager (Amazon product page): don’t forget to check the Q&A, there is plenty of useful info in there.
- Lavie website (700+ reviews)
Now onto you. Have you tried Lavie Lactation Massager before? Which type is your favorite? Feel free to share your experience in the comment.