After trial and error, I found my favourite hack method.
(this post contains affiliate link)
- maintain its closed system and
- does not decrease the suction power.
- Medela tubing (you can also use Maymom tubing which is designed to fit Medela system). Cut 0.5 cm after the end of the yellow plastic piece.
- 2-cm long plastic tube with 5-mm inner diameter
A lot of mom simply get this by cutting the Spectra tubing, but if you don’t want to modify your Spectra, you can use the mouth piece of straw from children water bottle. I suggest you to buy a new replacement straw set and use the mouth piece.
UPDATE: There have been some questions where I got my replacement straw. To be honest, it’s from an unbranded water bottle from my local kids store.
If you stay in Singapore, you can get it from Kiddy Palace.
Here’s the picture of that water bottle.
My daughter is currently using OXO twist-lid water bottle and it seems its replacement straw can also be used for this hack. I’ll update this post once I get my OXO replacement straw.
Let’s continue to the hack…
This tube should be big enough so that you can insert the clear part of Medela tubing into it without any difficulty.
How to assemble:
- Insert the end of Medela tubing (the clear one) into the big tube.
- Now insert Spectra backflow protector into the other end of the big tube
- Now pay attention to the connection.
- Make sure that there’s very minimum gap between the end of Medela tubing and the end of backflow protector
- If you still see a gap, cut the big tube shorter to get a better fit, because a bigger gap can result in suction loss.
- Now you can use Spectra breast pump with Medela flange, yayy!
- Usually, I will leave the hack intact to the backflow protector and the pump, so that I don’t need to fiddle with it every time I pump.
You can use the same method to connect Maymom breast shield to Spectra.